This year has been different to any other year – I was retrenched. It’s very different when it happens to you, than when you hear about it happening to others. I’m just glad the worst is over.
Anyway, here goes:
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I signed-up for and completed the Nike Run Jozi (10km); appeared on the ZA Tech Show; had dinner in an open sky; assembled a PC from scratch; and tweeted from the sky when Mango launched South Africa’s first in-flight WiFi.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Not applicable to me; I don’t do the whole resolution thing.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
Probably the same as every other year…indoors.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More stamps on my passport 😉
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The 10th of November – saw one my favourite bands, Linkin Park, LIVE!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting published monthly in a leading women’s magazine.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to run My Digital Life successfully.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My third-gen iPad (which is now obsolete, so does that count?)
12. Where did most of your money go?
Probably something car related. If it’s not my tyres, it’s replacing something or the other.
13. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Oppa…Gangnam Style. (Go on, help reach the next 2 billion!)
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
16. What was your favourite TV program?
Suits. If you haven’t seen it yet, you’re missing out.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
18. What was the best book you read?
Ask me later.
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I can’t believe it took me this long, but Florence + The Machine.
20. What was your favourite film of this year?
The Dark Knight Rises.
21. What did you do on your birthday?
It fell on Easter Friday, so it was a weekend full of celebrations.
22. What kept you sane?
Streaming music on Simfy.
23. Who did you miss?
Friends I lost touch with.
24. Who was the best new person you met?
I don’t like singling out an individual. I met a lot of new people from extended circles.
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Not exactly new, but not to take anything for granted.
Welcome to Wired to the Web. My name is Nafisa Akabor and I’m a technology journalist covering business and consumer tech for the last 13 years. I’m passionate about start-ups, smartphones, mobile payments, travel tech and electric cars. I’m usually unashamedly taking food photos (@nafisaeats on IG).