It’s that time again; my final and most personal blog post for 2015, the year that was.
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Sold and bought property on my own; went on a Mediterranean cruise; road tripped from Los Angeles to Las Vegas; went around a racetrack in a Lamborghini (Aventador) in Vegas; saw the Grand Canyon via helicopter; visited the Kruger National Park; drove a Mustang in San Francisco + went to Silicon Valley; was a judge at the MTN App of the Year Awards.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t make resolutions.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
Not sure yet, but will have family staying over 🙂 If there’s something better to do than the countdown at Montecasino, let me know!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
USA, Spain, France, Italy, Tunisia, the Netherlands, England and Germany.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day I moved into my new house, 10 October!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being asked to judge a national competition (MTN App of the Year)
9. What was your biggest failure?
It’s so difficult admitting failure 🙁
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does fainting for the first time in my life count? Came back from the US (west coast) and couldn’t shake off the jet lag, so went for a vitamin B shot, which made me faint. I don’t faint.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My 12″ MacBook.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Toss up between technology and travel.
13. What song will always remind you of 2015?
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watch South African Snapchatters lip sync to songs (unintentionally; srsly stop with that shit).
16. What was your favourite TV program?
I enjoyed several shows: Daredevil, Mr. Robot, Jessica Jones, How to get away with murder, and something not as intense: Silicon Valley.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
18. What was the best book you read?
Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In.
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I just stream a lot of music now, sorry that doesn’t count, ha.
20. What was your favourite film of this year?
The Force Awakens (while I’m at it, disappointments were Spectre and the final The Hunger Games movie)
21. What did you do on your birthday?
There were lovely pre-birthday celebrations with my closest of friends, but spent my birthday in Durban with family. My mother in law had these made:
22. What kept you sane?
23. Who did you miss?
24. Who was the best new person you met?
I’m fortunate to meet plenty of wonderful people each year. It won’t be fair to single one out.
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
When the negative utility outweighs the positive, it’s time to cut your losses.
Welcome to Wired to the Web. My name is Nafisa Akabor and I’m a technology journalist covering business and consumer tech for the last 13 years. I’m passionate about start-ups, smartphones, mobile payments, travel tech and electric cars. I’m usually unashamedly taking food photos (@nafisaeats on IG).