It’s time again for my most personal blog post; one I do every December. If you’ve been reading my blog since as far back as 2009, you’ll know the year that was is something I do annually. You can find my previous ones here: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
I got published internationally on Quartz.
I went into the Dead Sea (thanks Ford Middle East).
I watched my first baseball game live (San Francisco Giants vs. Arizona Diamondbacks).
I (finally) drove a BMW Motorsport car; an M2 (at the Cars Consumer Awards judging day). Better late than never.
I had a star named after me (thanks LG South Africa).
I took on a personal trainer.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
You probably know the answer to this – I don’t make resolutions.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
Hopefully with my family in Rio, iA.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Spain, Mozambique, Jordan, UK, and US.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
A bit more structure with regards to my freelance services. Like registering a company.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Being in London on my birthday (6 April) and Henry Cavill (aka Superman) attending the same Huawei phone launch! More about that on Q21.
— Nafisa Akabor 👩🏻💻 (@nafisa1) April 6, 2016
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting published internationally; being selected as part of the jury panel for the Cars.co.za Consumer Awards.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I set out a goal to register a company (re Q6) towards the middle of the year and didn’t end up doing it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Apple Music subscription. After using 2 free trials since launch, decided it was worth it.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Travel and gadgets. Nothing new, lol.
13. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Sia – Cheap Thrills (Thanks Snapchat).
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Doing more charity, like giving up my time instead of a donation.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasting time (and not registering a company).
16. What was your favourite TV program?
I loved Stranger Things.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
18. What was the best book you read?
Elon Musk’s biography, have a bit left to finish.
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nothing stands out, I’ve listened to a lot of random bands on Apple Music though.
20. What was your favourite film of this year?
Star Trek Beyond… cos Jayla was so badass.
21. What did you do on your birthday?
I was in London for a smartphone launch and Henry Cavill was there too! He came to London for my birthday… haha! I attended the event, tried (and failed) to take a selfie with him; went out with the Huawei crew to Chinatown for dinner; and took photos on the newly launched P9 around Piccadilly Circus. Went back to my hotel to have tea + cake that I bought from a bakery on the way back from dinner. It was a good day 🎉
22. What kept you sane?
Being grateful for what I already have.
23. Who did you miss?
I always miss my granny.
24. Who was the best new person you met?
I’ve been exposed to new things professionally, and have met a great bunch of people across the board. It won’t be fair to single anyone out.
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
If someone is pitching really aggressively to you, don’t trust them.
Time is a valuable resource (I’ve gotten very selective about who I give my time to).
If you’re been reading these posts over the years, I would love to hear your summary! The comments section is all yours, if you don’t have a blog! 🙂