Lego South Africa have opened preorders for the highly anticipated Nintendo collaboration of Super Mario play sets, announced in April this year. It includes the starter set, expansions, collectable characters and power-up packs.
The collection brings the much loved Mario character into the physical world, which begins with the Mario Starter Course. According to Lego, it features seven action bricks for different interactions with the Lego Mario figure, which has LCD screens in its eyes, mouth and belly to display instant reactions to movement, colour and action bricks.
In May, the Lego Group and Nintendo also announced a series of Power-Up Packs – including Cat Mario and Builder Mario – to help boost gameplay with a variety of suits for Lego Mario that each reveal new features and powers.
The expansion set now includes – in addition to the Piranha Plant Power Slide Set and Bowser’s Castle Boss Battle Set announcer earlier in the year – the Guarded Fortress; the Mario’s House & Yoshi Set; the Toad’s Treasure Hunt Set; the Desert Pokey Set; the Whomp’s Lava Trouble Set and the Boomer Bill Barrage Set.
There will also be 10 collectable enemies available in blind bag Character Packs which will contain a buildable character and action tag to play with – it could be a Paragoomba, Fuzzy, Spiny, Buzzy Beetle, Bullet Bill, Bob-omb, Eep Cheep, Blooper, Urchin or Peepa.
“The reaction to LEGO Super Mario has been incredible,” said Jonathan Bennink, Digital Design Lead on Lego Super Mario, the Lego Group.
“Super Mario is such an icon – and fans have been highly anticipating the release of the full details of the product line. Our entire range – from the Starter Course to the Power Up Packs, through to the Expansion Sets and Character Packs – have been built to bring Super Mario, his friends – and his enemies – to life. We love how creative Nintendo and LEGO fans are, and can’t wait for them to unleash their imaginations in how they interact with Super Mario in the real world.”
There is also a Lego Super Mario app that can used for building. The company says it keeps track of scores to encourage continuous rebuilding, as well as providing digital building instructions with zoom and rotate viewing tools to make building easier, suggestions of other creative ways to build and play, and a safe forum to share ideas with friends.
In celebration of the announcement, Lego South Africa sent me the cutest smash cake!
A smash cake to forget about this 🥶 weather in Joburg… Delicious delivery from Lego South Africa to announce its Super Mario sets are now open for pre-order. Mario starter set is R999. Available in September from @LegoCertifiedSA. pic.twitter.com/YHw7Kg7hbw
— Nafisa Akabor (@nafisa1) June 17, 2020
The Lego Super Mario sets can be pre-ordered today and pricing is as follows:
- 71360 – Lego Super Mario Adventures with Mario Starter Course (R999.99)
- 71362 – Lego Super Mario Guarded Fortress Expansion Set (R879.99)
- 71363 – Lego Super Mario Desert Pokey Expansion Set (R349.99)
- 71364 – Lego Super Mario Whomp’s Lava Trouble Expansion Set (R349.99)
- 71365 – Lego Super Mario Piranha Plant Power Slide Expansion Set (R519.99)
- 71366 – Lego Super Mario Boomer Bill Barrage Expansion Set (R519.99)
- 71367 – Lego Super Mario Mario’s House & Yoshi Expansion Set (R519.99)
- 71368 – Lego Super Mario Toad’s Treasure Hunt Expansion Set (R1199.99)
- 71369 – Lego Super Mario Bowser’s Castle Boss Battle Expansion Set (R1759.99)
- 71376 – Lego Super Mario Thwomp Drop Expansion Set (R649.99 – available only with select retailers)
- 71377 – Lego Super Mario King Boo and the Haunted Yard Expansion Set (R879.99 – available only with select retailers)
- 71370 – Lego Super Mario Fire Mario Power-Up Pack (R179.99)
- 71371 – Lego Super Mario Propeller Mario Power-Up Pack (R179.99)
- 71372 – Lego Super Mario Cat Mario Power-Up Pack (R179.99)
- 71373 – Lego Super Mario Builder Mario Power-Up Pack (R179.99)
- 71361 – Lego Super Mario Character Packs (R69.99)
Visit GreatYellowBrick.co.za to pre-order.
Welcome to Wired to the Web. My name is Nafisa Akabor and I’m a technology journalist covering business and consumer tech for the last 14 years. I’m passionate about start-ups, smartphones, mobile payments, travel tech and electric cars. ✉️ firstname.lastname@example.org